It’s a brand-new year to start fresh and look ahead to the future. We asked the Bleeding Fool staff and some of our contributors if they would share their predictions and/or expectations for 2018 as related to the culture. Here’s what they had to say:
1) What is your ‘geek culture’ related prediction for 2018?
2) What are you most looking forward to in 2018?
“1) I predict a lot of the so called ‘social justice warriors’ and their ‘slacktivism outrage’ will receive increased pushback from the long-term, invested fans who have been in the medium for much longer. There’s room for new readers, and god knows the publishers need them, but I’m seeing an ugly trend of creators insulting comic fans who are pushing back that is untenable. I expect that to quickly fall out of favor in this rapidly shrinking market. Comic writers mass-blocking fans from being able to follow or read their stuff online is not a good look and a genuinely bad business model for any publisher. Either use the MUTE button or ignore the fans you have no decent response to. We’re seeing fans who have never interacted with someone like Dan Slott or Al Ewing, who discover they’ve been blocked by them on Twitter with no reason given. Why would a reader ever want to purchase another book from that creator after being treated like that?
2) I’m going to catch some flack for this, but in 2018 I’m looking forward to seeing what Ron Howard has done with ‘Solo’” Maybe I’m glutton for punishment.
“1) I predict that Marvel is going to try to tone down the politicization of their comics and I expect a lot of staff will be replaced. I also think companies are starting to realize that social justice does not sell as advertised. People are more interested in character personalities rather then “diversity”
2) Looking forward to the new BioWare game (Anthem). Hopefully it will be good, otherwise BioWare will lose all the prestige it has left as a brand”
“1) I predict a continuation towards story over agenda from Marvel, while DC Comics begins to let ‘identity politics’ creep further into their books. starting with Supergirl
2) I’m actually looking forward to whatever comic book Marvel puts Gabby (Rivera) or Sina Grace on. We need more meat for our Youtube roasts!!”
“1) I expect the same tug-of-war culture warfare to take place in 2018 as it did in 2017. The topics will depend on what moderates and centrists see as something they’ll either support or ignore, which may or may not push the pendulum toward one side or the other in a significant way. As long as outrage artists are still churning out outrage bait at fairly large media outlets, I expect more of the same.
2) I would like to see more politically charged media outlets deconstructed. It adds nothing to the culture other than divisiveness and bitterness among nerds. Most people retreat to games, comics or movies to get away from the overt politics peddled in every other aspect of life. It’s nice that Marvel is axing some of their poorly selling, more controversial comics, but having ‘enthusiast platforms’ move away from outrage culture, identity politics and the culture war would be a huge boon for making enthusiast entertainment great again. I predict it’s coming to that.”
“I’m not big on making predictions, but in terms of superhero stuff that I’m looking forward to, I’d have to go with ‘Avengers: Infinity War.’ If we’re just talking about comics, I look forward to (Marvel EiC) C.B. Cebulski‘s approach becoming much clearer by the summer. I think that’s the big question mark that will be erased by the time 2018 is over.”
“1) I predict a slow, but steady decline of the SJW/identity politics at Marvel Comics.
2) What am I most looking forward to in 2018? ‘Infinity Siblings‘ by Jim Starlin”
Happy New Year everyone!
1) Marvel will attempt a “Heroes Return“-ish (the 1998 revamp after several Image creators took the reins of major Marvel heroes for a year in “Heroes Reborn“) comeback to prop up their sagging sales from their pathetic SJW titles misfire.
2) I was looking forward to “Black Mirror” Season 4, but since I already binge-watched it all in one sitting, there’s nothing else for me to look forward to!
“1) I predict there will be more push-back against the rabid SJW culture that has taken over geek culture. There will be more firings and house cleaning and a return to sanity or they will lose their fans to Alt Comics like Alt Hero. I also predict Alt Hero is going to be a serious competitor for audience share. I also predict an explosion of Alt creativity and the first real attempt we’ve ever done to really take our culture back. Watch for entertainment, music, books, comics…you name it, it’s coming.
2) I’m most looking forward to more Trump! This has been the most exciting year in politics in my memory and I’ve been politically aware and active since 1989. Trump has exceeded my expectations and my wildest dreams actually. The man is unstoppable, invincible and rolling ever forward. I can’t wait to see where he takes us.”
“1) Not exactly a prediction, but I’d be happy if Mary Jane Watson and Spider-Man‘s marriage was restored, but have a bad feeling Joe Quesada intends to do everything to prevent it.
2) I’m looking forward to the independent comics scene producing more conservative writers and artists who can make a difference.”
“1) I predict that this whole SJW trend at Marvel Comics isn’t quite over yet. When and if they finally put Ta-Nehisi Coates on Captain America, we’ll see something worse than Nick Spencer ever could have come up with. And with (Tom) Brevoort tossing Jim Starlin under the bus, it shows that management still needs to be adjusted.
2) I’m looking most forward to the MCU movies ‘Infinity War‘ and ‘Black Panther‘, because if nothing else, the MCU has its shit together. Well, unless it’s a Thor solo film.”
“1) It’s a long shot, but 2018 will see the start of a renaissance in conservative creative products. These products will probably be grassroots & underground, but I think right-leaning creatives have gotten tired of being passive-consumers of media that doesn’t reflect their interests.
2) In 2018, I’m looking forward to seeing how much energy people will put into creating new and exciting media products. Comics, fan-fics, blogs, YouTube channels. Whatever really. 2018 is looking like it is going to be a heck of a ride.”
“1) I predict a lot of course-correction at Marvel Comics. I think they’ve tried to implement diversity, which was demanded by an audience that wasn’t actually interested in consuming comics, but demanding something they felt the culture expected. At the end of the day Marvel is a business, and books selling under 15,000 issues a month is unsustainable, not matter what the protagonist’s gender or race may be. A character’s appearance or identity should be secondary to telling a good story.
2) I’m really looking forward to the Black Panther movie. It’s about time for T’Challa to get the spotlight he deserves.”
“2018 is going to be a killer year for movies. I predict that Avengers Infinity War will smash all box office records and may very well wind up being the biggest film of all time. I’m hoping that the Han Solo film isn’t a dud and restores my faith in the Star Wars franchise after being disappointed with The Last Jedi.
I don’t know what to predict regarding geek culture. I’m sure it’ll get bigger, but I expect interest in comics to continue to wane as the industry seems to be losing readers faster than it can replace them. Marvel may get a bump if it can course-correct and do a better job of cashing in on the movies, but I think the comic book industry is going to continue to decline as younger, potential readers pick other forms of (cheaper, more easily accessible) entertainment. I think that politics will keep rearing it’s head and continue to tear various fandom apart from within, which is terribly sad. Geek culture used to be about sharing something you loved with people who actually “got you. (aka ‘fandoms’)”
So what are some things you’re looking forward to in 2018? Sound off in the comments section! And Happy New Year everybody!